The use of anesthesia is essential in many surgeries. In most scenarios, anesthesia is safe. But there is a scary trend of increasing anesthesia mistakes. When an anesthesiologist makes a mistake, you should discuss it with a lawyer. An anesthesia mistake lawyer can help you understand your options.
Common Anesthesia Mistakes
- Too much/too little anesthesia
- Delayed delivery of anesthesia
- Failure to prevent or recognize adverse drug reactions
- Administering the wrong kind of anesthesia
- Accidentally using anesthesia the patient is allergic to
- Failure to recognize an allergic reaction to anesthesia
- Failing to provide proper instructions before anesthesia
- Not monitoring the patient during surgery while anesthetized
- Improper positioning causing blood pressure complications (i.e. “beach chair” or “barber shop” position)
- Defective equipment used during anesthesia
We would like to tell you anesthesia mistakes aren’t common. But the ugly truth is mistakes are common. Many times, a mistake doesn’t cause injury or health problems. The fact that someone made a mistake doesn’t always lead to a successful lawsuit.
Reasons For Mistakes
It’s no secret that medical professionals are over-worked. Hospitals demand long hours. Anesthesiologists make mistakes for any number of reasons. When mistakes cause the injury or death of a patient, there needs to be accountability.
Injury Caused By Anesthesia Mistakes
Any number of complications can arise from an anesthesia mistake. Additionally, specific mistakes cause specific injuries in most cases. Listing them all would be impossible. Here are some of the common anesthesia injuries we’ve seen.
- Brain damage
- Damage to the heart or other organs
- Hypoxia (brain death from oxygen deprivation)
- Cerebral palsy (birth injury)
- Ringing in the ears
- Blurred vision
- Heart arrhythmia
- Cardiovascular collapse
- Spinal cord injury
- Malignant hyperthermia
In medical malpractice cases, the patient or surviving family have a burden of proof. First, we must prove an injury occurred. Second, the injury or death must be the result of the negligence of medical staff.
Speaking with an experienced lawyer will help you understand your options.
Anesthesia Mistake Lawyer
When an anesthesia mistake causes you harm, the team at Haggerty & Silverman is here to help. What you’re going through is tough. We listen to you and explain your options.
We’ve been helping people like you since 1994. Let our experience help you get the best results for your situation.
Call or text us to discuss your situation for free. You can reach us anytime at 717-397-3200. Or, use our online contact form to schedule a free anesthesia mistake consultation. You don’t pay us unless we recover money for you.