Lancaster Pedestrian Accident Attorney
No matter how careful you are when crossing the street, you can’t always protect yourself from negligent or careless drivers. Unfortunately, pedestrian accidents are common and motor vehicle drivers are often to blame. Being hit by a car is a traumatic experience that can lead to serious injuries or even death. If you were injured or if a loved one was killed in a pedestrian accident, you need an experienced lawyer on your side. A Lancaster pedestrian accident attorney at Haggerty & Silverman will fight for your rights and secure you the highest compensation possible.
Pedestrian safety should be a joint endeavor for both drivers and pedestrians. The pedestrian injury lawyers at Haggerty & Silverman want to make the road safer for everyone. We believe that we can make our community safer by holding wrongdoers accountable for their negligent actions. When offenders are held responsible, others are deterred from making the same mistake. This encourages drivers to act in a safe manner and obey right-of-way laws, which can help reduce the number of pedestrian accidents.
Pedestrian Accident Statistics
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
- A pedestrian is injured in a traffic accident every 7 minutes and killed every two hours.
- In 2012, 4,743 pedestrians were killed and another 76,000 were injured in traffic accidents in the United States.
- 2012 saw the most pedestrian deaths since 2006.
- Most pedestrian deaths occur in an urban setting.
- More deaths occur at nighttime and at non-intersections.
- A pedestrian has an 85 percent chance of death and a 15 percent chance of injury when hit by a car at 40 mph, a 45 percent chance of death and a 50 percent chance of injury at 30 mph, and a 5 percent chance of death and a 65 percent chance of injury at 20 mph.
Common Pedestrian Accident Injuries
While passengers in cars have seatbelts and airbags to protect them, a pedestrian has nothing. Thus, when a pedestrian is hit by a car, he or she may suffer severe injuries or even death. Common injuries resulting from pedestrian accidents include:
Injuries sustained in a pedestrian accident can lead to high medical bills, lost wages and a reduced quality of life. No one should have to suffer financially because of an incident that was not his or her fault. An experienced pedestrian accident attorney can help you get full compensation for your injuries.
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Lancaster, PA
Even when you take every possible precaution, there are factors that are out of your control. Drivers who are distracted or under the influence of alcohol pose a risk to others. If you or a loved one was hit by a car driven by a negligent driver, a Lancaster pedestrian accident attorney at Haggerty & Silverman can help. We have offices in Lancaster, Pennsylvania where you can speak with our pedestrian injury attorneys. For a free evaluation of your claim, contact us at 717-397-3200 or fill out our contact form online.